Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Walter Moers

Has anyone else read Walter Moers stuff? I’m not sure how to define it, but it definitely seems furry. I got The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear as a gift and completely devoured it, but looking him up on Amazon, it seems like he has a lot more books with animal characters as well.
Very much looking forward to reading more of them, but I wondered if anyone already had or could recommend?

Thanks
Frances

I keep meaning to read Captain Bluebear - I know it got rave reviews when it came out.

I got “The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear” from the public library, and I had to return the book unread because it was too thick & unwieldy to be held one-handedly with my paralysis.

Here’s page 1 of the Los Angeles Public Library’s catalogue entry on Walter Moers. There’s a good chance that some of his books are in lots of other public libraries. You can look up what Amazon.com has by him, in the U.S., Canada, Germany, the U.K. – lots of countries.

http://catalog.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/DoSearch?databaseID=965&initialsearch=true&count=10&finish=search_page.jsp&mode=manual&terms=Moers%2C+Walter&Search=Search&index=n

Bluebear is a giant of a book. I’d kill to be able to ramble like that. (and its heavy enough, it could probably kill someone) :slight_smile: It was a really whimsical and fun read, though, and his, Rumo, looks like it has a lot more animal characters in it even than Bluebear did.
I think I’ll have to hunt it up… maybe on ebook to save my hands.

Thanks for the link!

I love Captain Bluebear! I remember growing up with it in my early teens. It was my favorite book for about half a year - I’d reread and reread it, and have dreams about it, and on slow days I’d take out my chess set and pretend the pieces were the characters. I loved the linguistic humor, too - always wondered how they managed to carry it over from the German - and I spent many a night working out a reliable time-keeping system similar to the one the [spoilers] old men used when Bluebear was in the tornado [/spoiler]. They must have had a metronome in there, or had remarkably unwavering metabolisms.

A couple of years ago, I saw another Moers book in a bookstore - something to do with a library. Didn’t get it, though, since I didn’t have the money, and never saw it again. Oh well.

All this makes me tempted to get “Captain Bluebear” from the LAPL again and make another attempt to hold & read it one-handedly. And get Moers’ other, smaller books. Ritter, isn’t there any public library where you are?

Sadly, the government where I am doesn’t put much stock in reading. Libraries are pitifully stocked and not well-maintained.

When I’m in Germany, I borrow English books from the lib, but their selection is pretty scattershot as well.

I’ve found those on Amazon and plan to read book two asap. I hadn’t even realized there were sequels until I did searched Moers. My library system only has book five or some such thing, so I’m going to have to order them if I want them in sequence.

In the meantime I have a freshly signed copy of Barsk to devour :slight_smile: