Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Recommendations of Works Published in 2016

As far as I can tell, we don’t have a thread for this yet… But nominations will most likely open next month, so it’s a good time to start sharing recommendations and doing last minute reading.

So, what do people recommend?

[EDIT: Please don’t be shy about posting your own works – this thread is partly for telling people which works you loved, but it’s also just for making sure that people remember what came out in 2016 and is thus eligible.]

I’ve just realised all my recs are self-published. Is that OK?

Malcolm Cross’s Dog Country in the Novel category. Also the adult Splice: Conditioning by Cocoa, though I’m not sure if this falls under novel or novella, would have to check. And Rob Baird’s adult collection, Bodies in Motion.

That’s fine.

I’d like to recommend Claw the Way to Victory edited by AnthroAquatic. It’s a solid anthology, and it has a lot of great stories in it:

“Descent” by TrianglePascal
“Discus Dog” by James L. Steele
“Bottom of the Ninth” by PJ Wolf
“A Knight’s Tale” by Eric Lane
“Ping Pong Diplomacy” by Huskyteer
“After the Last Bell’s Rung” by Patrick Rochefort
“A Leap Forward” by MikasiWolf
“A Gentleman of Strength” by Dwale
“Nightball” by TrianglePascal
“Eight Seconds and the Grace of God” by Patrick Rochefort

(I’ve left off my own story, “Marge the Barge,” since I’ll be withdrawing my own fiction from consideration. It will be eligible for the Ursa Majors though.)

Also, all the individual stories in ROAR 7 (that weren’t reprints) are eligible, but I’ll be withdrawing the collection itself from consideration, as I edited it.

“Crouching Tiger, Standing Crane” by Kyla Chapek
“The Torch” by Chris “Sparf” Williams
“A Rock Among Millions” by Skunkbomb
“The Pigeon Who Wished For Golden Feathers” by Corgi W.
“Unbalanced Scales” by Bill Kieffer
“Reason” by Heidi C. Vlach
“Old-Dry-Snakeskin” by Ross Whitlock
“Kitsune Tea” by E.A. Lawrence
“The Butterfly Effect” by Jay “Shirou” Coughlan
“The Roar” by John Giezentanner
“Trust” by TJ
“The Golden Flowers” by Priya Sridhar
“A Thousand Dreams” by Amy Fontaine
“Puppets” by Ellis Aen

There are some really excellent stories in that list. As the editor, I can’t nominate any of them, but I highly recommend that other people do.

I had a couple things come out this year that are eligible:

Novel - Flower’s Curse (Book 2 in the Flower’s Fang Series)
Novella - Dragon’s Ahoy (Book 2 in The Dragon Tax Series)
Short Story - Poppy and the Great Expo (Furlandia Conbook then released as stand-alone on amazon)

Oh - Hot Dish 2 was out for MFF, and while I haven’t read the stories since they were in the slush pile, they were very good then :slight_smile: I’m gonna recommend Bahumat’s ‘The Years Of Living Dangerously Happy’ and Kandrel’s ‘The Hound and the Tree’ in particular.

More novels! Skye Lansing’s In Honor’s Shadow also came out in 2016. And Zoe Landon (hupfen)'s The Latte Segment.

And Jess E. Owen’s latest, By The Silver Wind.

OK done now for now!

I don’t write fiction as much as I edit anthologies. I’d like to call attention to my anthology Gods With Fur, published by FurPlanet last June, which is eligible in the Best Anthology category.

Of 2016 fiction and anthologies not by me, these impressed me:

Novel

Black Angel by Kyell Gold; Sofawolf Press, March
The Digital Coyote by Kris Schnee; CreateSpace, July
Fracture by Hugo Jackson; Inspired Quill Publishing, September
Legacy: Dawn, by Rukis; FurPlanet Productions, June
Sixes Wild: Echoes, by Tempe O’Kun; FurPlanet Productions, June
Spirit Hunters. Book 2, The Open Road by Paul Kidd; Kitsune Press; May

Short Story

“400 Rabbits” by Alice “Huskyteer” Dryden, in Gods With Fur, FurPlanet Productions, June
“A Gentleman of Strength” by Dwale, in Claw the Way to Victory, Jaffa Books, January
“Long Time I Hunt” by Erin Lale, in ROAR vol.7, Bad Dog Books, June
“Three Minutes to Midnight” by Killick, in Gods With Fur, FurPlanet Productions, June
“Trade All the Stars” by Watts Martin, in Fragments of Life’s Heart vol. 1, Weasel Press, June

Anthologies

Claw the Way to Victory, ed. by AnthroAquatic; Jaffa Books, January
ROAR vol. 7, ed. by Mary E. Lowd; Bad Dog Books, June. (I know she’s withdrawn it from award consideration, but it’s still one of the best furry anthologies of the year.)

I don’t think I’ve read any 2016 novellas yet. I’ve got Culdesac: A Novella from the World of Mort(e) by Robert Repino; Soho Press, November, reserved at the L.A. Public Library, but it hasn’t come in yet. Likewise for the novel The Memoirs of a Polar Bear by Yoko Tawada; New Directions, November.

I loved that story too, but it’s a reprint and therefore not eligible.

While I’ll be withdrawing ROAR 7 from consideration for the Coyotls, it’s still eligible for the Ursa Majors – so, please do consider nominating/voting for it there.

Hiya! :smiley:
I forget – and I couldn’t find this swiftly – but what’s the short story/novel cut-off length? Those who follow me may recall that word counts are something my muse would rather ignore.

I want to recommend Unbalanced Scales from Roar 7 for Coyotl but I am not sure if it’s properly a short story at (I think it was 15k) or if its a longer work. I’ll post it my google drive and post a link to it here and in the Slack chat channel for #fictionshare for FWG members only as soon as I make sure I have the final published copy in hand.

I also have a novella called The Goat: Building the Perfect Victim from Red Ferret Press. I am sure this counts as a novel, even if it’s just 40k. I’d like to nominate this for the Coyotl… and welcome any FWGer who wants to use this link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TfqaNdBNAwIoXc6w-mwQGoqBj-FmVUOBtfk0C8VfjOE for consideration or a review to write one up for Amazon or Good Reads. Or Barnes and Noble.

That information can be found at the top of the “Rules” page: http://coyotlawards.org/rules/

Short Story: less than 20,000 words
Novella: between 20,000 and 50,000 words
Novel: more than 50,000 words

Thanks! That means Unbalanced Scales is very much a short story.

There’s also FANG 7.

Splatters by NightEyes DaySpring
With the Lights On by Field T. Mouse
Nuclear Cocktails by Skunkbomb
One for the Money, Two for the Show by Whyte Yoté
Apostasy by Chris “Sparf” Williams
The Dance by TJ Minde
The Road to Midnight by NightEyes DaySpring
Barrel Aged Romance by Miriam “Camio” Curzon
Strings by T. D. Coltraine
Double Down by Argyron
Luck Only Lends by Hunter
Fantasy by Tym Greene
The Price of Admission by Ocean Tigrox
Royal Flush by Thomas “Faux” Steele
Traffic by Miriam “Camio” Curzon
His Palace by Slip-Wolf

Figured I’d throw it out there, don’t recall seeing 6 mentioned last year.

It’s my birthday! Someone needs to by me that!

Happy birthday. It was my birthday on the 11th. Our birthdays are one day apart.

I did not know that! Happy Birthday!

I put out four stories this year that re eligible

“Yesterday’s Trickster” in Gods with Fur
“Splatters” and “The Road to Midnight” in FANG 7
“A Moment of Darkness” in Knotted

Of the four, I think I’m proudest of “Yesterday’s Trickster” for the way I handled writing about Old Man Coyote, but if anyone loved one of my stories, I’d be honored to see it nominated.

This year, I had two stories accepted into anthologies:

“A Rock Among Millions” in ROAR 7
“Nuclear Cocktails” in FANG 7

I would be honored to earn your nominations.

Here are the books we’ve worked on in 2016 (whether via Goal Publications or AnthroAquatic) that have been published in some way. Anthologies and collections have all stories and their authors listed below the main title. Stories that are mature for sexual content will be marked in Blue:

• Claw the Way to Victory (Anthology, Edited by AnthroAquatic, published by Jaffa Books http://www.jaffabooks.com.au/anthologies/claw-the-way-to-victory)
Decent by TrianglePascal
Discus Dog by James L Steele
Bottom of the Ninth by PJ Wolf
A Knight’s Tale by Eric Lane
Ping Pong Diplomacy by Huskyteer
After the Last Bell’s Rung by Patrick Rochefort
A Leap Forward by MikasiWolf
A Gentleman of Strength by Dwale
Nightball by TrianglePascal
Eight Seconds and the Grace of God by Patrick Rochefort
Marge the Barge by Mary E Lowd

• A Glimpse of Anthropomorphic Literature (Collection, Edited by AnthroAquatic, published by Goal Publications https://goal-publications-storefront.squarespace.com/shop/zc5wfhxasz964txjkpgefcgpl4h1ko
Issue 1
Catching the Thief by Amy Fontaine
Sheets and Covers by Ocean Tigrox
Rhinoirceros by Daniel Lowd
If All Your Friends by T.C. Powell
Issue 2
Sheeperfly’s Lullaby by Mary E Lowd
The Charitable Pact of a Soft-hearted Fool by Slip Wolf
The System by Simmer the Lizard
Beast by Frances Pauli
Issue 3
Promises to Keep by Renee Carter Hall
Carnivore Studies 101 by Inkblitz
His Dog by Frances Pauli
The Mouse Who Was Born a Bear by Mary E Lowd
Mr. Larouz by Coinsettia
Power by Arian Mabe

• By The Silver Wind (Novel, By Jess E Owen, Self-published https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Wind-Book-Summer-Chronicles/dp/0996767630/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481904097&sr=8-1&keywords=by+the+silver+wind)

• Tristan (Novel, By Sylvain St-Pierre, Self-published https://www.amazon.com/Tristan-Sylvain-St-Pierre-ebook/dp/B01BLKYPXA/ref=pd_sbs_351_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G61VPY47WJW7PVPBRJTR)

• Finding the Line (Novel, By Sylvain St-Pierre, Self-published https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Line-Inheriting-Book-ebook/dp/B01M9F6CUJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481903631&sr=8-3&keywords=Sylvain+St-Pierre)

• A Wasteful Death (Novel, by Sylvian St-Pierre, Self-published https://www.amazon.com/Wasteful-Death-Predation-Book-ebook/dp/B01L0NMFVC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481903631&sr=8-2&keywords=Sylvain+St-Pierre)

I’m…pretty sure that’s everything I’ve worked on that’s been released this year. In their own, unique ways, I’d recommend all of these. Both collections have some fantastic stories in them by very talented authors, Jess Owen is Jess Owen (amazing author, person, and client), and Sylvian, while his stories are definitely adult in nature, is proving to be quite a competent storyteller, and I’ve enjoyed working with him so far.

I’ve now read Culdesac: A Novella from the War With No Name by Robert Repino, and I definitely recommend it for a 2016 Cóyotl Award in the Best Novella category.

I got two stories eligible for nomination.

“A Leap Forward” in Claw the Way to Victory, which features Parkour (Freerunning) as a way of life. Parkour/Freerunning is not a commonly-featured sport or physical discipline, so that story’s pretty unique in that respect

“Adversary’s Fall” in Gods With Fur. It features three Asian gods, namely, The Monkey King, Pigsy, and the Merlion.

I’ll be honored to have my stories nominated.