Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Member knowledge base

I know this is an old thread, but it’s been fascinating to read everyone’s interests and areas of expertise. I thought I’d add some of my own “knowledge” off the top of my head in the event that any of these could help.

History- I’ve studied a BA and an MA in history. Initially, I focused on Victorian and Edwardian Britain at undergrad, but changed to study the history of military intelligence and post-colonial Africa and Asia in my final year and Master’s. I wrote both my dissertations on how the Cold War impacted in Africa.

Espionage- Linked to the first point, I’ve had an interest in spy films and novels since a fairly young age.

Aviation- I took flying lessons as a teenager with the hope of joining the air force or becoming a commercial airline pilot. I stopped as it became too expensive, but I still have an interest in aircraft, both military and civilian.

Music- I love music in general, and have a whole stash of tracks on my laptop, as well as CDs and vinyl’s. I play guitar, and have also attempted bass, drums and piano. If I’m referencing a song in a piece of work, I like to consider how it can alter the atmosphere of a scene or indicate the personality and tastes of a character.

Awkward roommates- Something which I’m sure most people in house/flat shares have experienced. I can cite several amusing and weird anecdotes about former roommates.

Depression- Sadly, this is something I continue to struggle with. I’ve tried channeling it into some of my stories.

Travelling- I like to go abroad when I can afford it. I’ve been lucky to have visited most of Western and Southern Europe, as well as Russia, Poland, Czech Republic, Australia, Singapore and the US (NYC, Los Angeles, San Diego and New Mexico).

Sex- Most gay or bi guys can probably tell you this can be as equally disastrous as hot.

I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that folks are still contributing to this. In the age of the internet providing so much information, it can be easy to forget how much personal experience and years of research can be far more reliable in many cases. Let me sit down with someone who’s been a member of the polo club for the past five years to get the ins and outs and actual gameplay experiences over staring at words on a screen!

So yes, please, keep contributing! Anything you’re willing to help writers to get a more realistic feel to their stories!

I know I’m going to echo a few people with this kind of thing, but here we go.

Dysfunctional Families- I’ve lived in one for the past 16 years, so I can say that I know a good deal about how these kinds of things work.

Moving Cross Country- I’ve moved across the country a couple of times so far, both in different ways. I move a lot in my life so I’ve got a good idea of the logistics of it and a lot of the complications.

Music- I’ve been listening to and helping to create music for years now, and my S.O. is a composer with equal years of knowledge in the subject.

Alcohol- A vice, but one that I look at constantly and I learn all that I can about mixed drinks, individual alcohols, and companies that produce them. I’m a little weak on my wines, but I know beer and whiskey like the back of my hand.

Smoking- Cigars, Hookah, Cigarettes, and even vaping. I’ve been at them all for a while now, and I feel I have enough knowledge to contribute if necessary.

1) Firearms

Having been in Capabilities Development during my time in the army, I had handled weaponry, as well as modern soldier equipment such as Manpack systems, and Tactical Throwing Sensors. I had also showcased such equipment at several public events, including the 2012 Army Open House.

I had actually been interested in small arms (handheld firearms) since I was in polytechnic, and as such have considerable research knowledge on firearms in general (military rifles, pistols, revolvers, etc). I had the opportunity to fire a SAR-21 Assault Rifle (a bullpup-style 5.56mm weapon) in the Army, a revolver, a bolt-action rifle, and three types of 9mm pistols. I had also dismantled a few, and would thus be able to tell you how some of the parts work, and how they’re all loaded. I also know about ammunition types, interchangeability (such as .38 Special to .357 Magnum), and certain types of explosives. And of course, the different forms of armor, and their armor ratings (such as whether a Level IIIA will stop a .44 Magnum or not)

My personal research is still ongoing, where the interest takes me. I will thus be able to mention or spot any errors regarding firearms in a movie or story.

2) Army

I had served in the Army for 22 months, and had thus gone through two forms of Basic Combat Training. I will be able to relate the trials and tribulations one faces during BCT and beyond, along with the bureaucracy the many different ranks have against each other. However, given that I had enjoyed my time in the Army, I will be able to highlight funny moments that can happen even in the most trying of situations.

3) Singapore

Although I would hardly say that I know much about Asia in general, having only visited Thailand and China, having been brought up in Singapore means that I know about the local culture, landmarks, educations and the travel options for any would-be characters. That was the reason why a couple of my stories are set here. I also understand the local lingo, affectionately known as “Singlish”, and will thus be able to give feedback on a story set in Singapore.

4) Mechanical Engineering

I’m a Design Engineer by trade, and so I have a BAEng in Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering. I understand certain mechanical systems, manufacturing methods of metal and polymers (plastics), and design software like CATIA, AutoCAD, and Autodesk Inventor. I work in a corporate environment, which includes the occasional business trip, and can thus give an account of what its like.

5) Locksmithing

I was interested in mechanical locking systems since 2014, and had thus studied briefly on becoming a locksmith. However, I also had practical hand-on knowledge on locking mechanisms such as common pin tumbler door locks and padlocks. I will thus be able to give feedback on whether a character is picking or forcing a lock incorrectly.

6) Asian Culture

Living in Singapore, I had seen and understood the mannerisms of some cultures, notably Chinese, Malay and Indian ones. Therefore, I would be able to help with clarifying some of the myths and legends, most notably, the book entitled Journey to the West, which features a monkey god.

7) Parkour

One of the physical disciplines I was extremely interested in, it had also resulted in a longtime sprain in my legs :stuck_out_tongue: I had researched extensively not just on the different moves, but on the philosophy the various practitioners have on the discipline itself. This interest had spawned a story in the “Claw the Way to Victory” anthology by Jaffa books, though in it, I simply called Parkour “The Movement” .

8. Numismatics/Coin collecting
The study and art of coins and medallions. I had been a coin collector myself, and so understand the different conditions such as F, VF, EF, and UNC, as well as preservation methods. As collectors need to know how to spot fakes, I also can explain how a fake coin looks different from a real one, and the terminology involved in it.

9) Harry Potter Fandom

Yeah, I was a fan of the Harry Potter books, so I’ll probably remember any scene if anybody asks.

Feel from to ask if you need clarification. Hope I can help! ^.^

Non-fiction

When it comes to writing, I spend most of my time writing, editing, curating, and publishing non-fiction works. Owner and editor of [adjective][species], so I can maybe help with writing and publishing non-fiction in furry.

Gender/trans issues

Gender’s a big thing for me. I’ve been thinking and writing about gender issues for years now, concerning dysphoria, transition, health, presentation…you name it. If you’re ever in need of someone to help with trans characters or themes in writing, I’d love to lend a paw.

Music composition

Got my bachelor’s degree in it.

Alcohol

Brewer, mead maker, wine maker, distiller, grape and hop grower, drinker. If ever it comes up, I can try and help with the process or product or whatever :3

Asexuality

Spent fifteen years desperately trying to be a sexual person before giving up (and being much happier for it). Can yap for hours on end about it.

Safer sex

Part of the outreach for Love - Sex - Fur (the adult side of [adjective][species]) is providing guides and convention panels on safer sex, which I loooove doing. I’d like to see more of this in furry writing :3

Polyamory

Been actively poly for several years now, and try my best to be a good ambassador for poly relationships. Will help as much as I can with this one.

Mental health

Been a big thing for me, so I’ll help how I can.

Various other tidbits that might help but I’m not sure why they’d wind up in a story

Chinese tea, mechanical keyboards, tech, open source, software, spending too much money on inconsequential things, the problems with long, curly hair, getting german shepherds to just friggin’ behave already jeez.

(I’m awful at keeping up with the forums, feel free to shoot me an email (makyo[at]drab-makyo[dot]com) or tweet (@drab_makyo) or telegram (@drabmakyo) or mention me on the FWG Slack if needed)

As a new person, I’ll attempt to contribute what I will loosely call my areas of expertise.

History in General, Military History More Specifically. I just recently ended my 12 year journey to get my BA in History.

WWII and Military Aviation in General. Related to my next area, but I have done a lot of research on this topic specifically after my interest in the American Civil War faded (though I can still recall quite a bit).

Building Plastic Models. As my non-writing hobby, I build plastic models. Mostly military aircraft, cars, and am starting to do some WWII warships as well.

NASCAR and General Automobile Racing. Though my 3 year lack of television has cut my interest recently, I have been a fan of NASCAR and cars going around in circles for… oh dear, over 20 years now.

Coming to Your Sexuality at a Later Date. I didn’t discover my sexuality until I was 26. As such, I’ve had a lot of experience trying to come to terms with coming out as gay while trying to keep up the charade that I am an adult.

General Folklore. I collect a lot of folklore and ghost stories.

In addition, I have ranks in Useless Knowledge that cover: video games, high fantasy, social anxiety, all the ways a monogamous person can freak out when they find themselves in a poly relationship, and dealing with learning disabilities (main cause of college taking 12 years).

I’m sure I’m forgetting things, but hey that’s what the post editing feature is for.

Excellent, I look forward to geeking out about military aviation with you!

Disabled Parents, weird and interesting facts, pit bulls…uh…really if you name it I can probably research it enough to become an internet expert :stuck_out_tongue: I love research, I would happily sell myself out there to be a research assistant for a librarian or other writer.

Odd facts of history, WW2, blogging, and furry music videos

Sailing: cruising the east coast and the Bahamas for many years in a small sailboat (with cats).

Charts, Maps and Orienteering: making and creating said charts and maps.

Sex in a Sailboat: at disturbing degrees of heel and yaw.

1. Asian culture
As a Vietnamese-American and raised by Vietnam War refugees/immigrants, I’ve grown up in a diverse city, specifically a large Chinese-Vietnamese community a la Chinatown/Little Saigon, all my life. I’m quite familiar with the norms, customs, food, relations, societal/familial expectations and nuances among different Asian cultures.

2. Biology (especially neuroscience, pathology, microbiology, applications to medicine)
I’ve studied biology in college, shadowed doctors, and have research lab experience. I’m intrigued by human anatomy and physiology, especially when they’re not working like they’re supposed to. Blood and gore does not faze me. I’m still working on getting an M.D., but I know plenty of science along the way, particularly as it applies to medicine.

3. Competitive swimming
I’ve been involved in year-round lap swimming for many years. I specialized in sprint swimming over endurance. I know what it’s like to be caught up in the heat of the competition, to endure countless drills under a strict coach, the experience from leaping off the diving block to slapping your hand on the wall to finish the race.

4. Anxiety
I struggle with GAD and it’s particularly bad when I have to take a test or make a public presentation. The physiological consequences of stress and anxiety are definitely not pleasant, but I can put it to good use by portraying an authentic experience in writing, mine or yours.

5. English literature
My area of study in college. I particularly enjoy Classical, Medieval, British, Russian, and East Asian literature. Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy is my favorite epic poem ever. I’m a sucker for flowery language, religious allusions/references, and pithy phrases.

6. Christianity (specifically Roman Catholicism)
I’m a cradle Catholic. I know the ins and outs of church traditions, dogma, the liturgy, architecture, clergy, etc. Yes, I know some of the more unpleasant aspects of the church’s history, the darker side, if you will.

7. Art
Pens, pencils, and Photoshop are my tools of the trade. I attended a high school that specialized in performing and visual arts. I like doing intricate and detailed line art. I’ve dabbled in graphic novels/comics and animation. The joys and woes of being a visual artist are a big part of my life. (My icon is a sample of my work.)

Do NOT ask me about:
Firearms (don’t have one), drugs (never took one), alcohol (I drink once in a blue moon), golf, hunting, politics, law, playing musical instruments (played the piano very briefly), engineering, math

A fascinating read! This thread should be resurrected.

Addition for me, a little strange, but it came up in the FWG slack with regards to furry alternatives to tattoos:

Branding/scarification - What goes into it, the process, healing, and how to make it into an aesthetically pleasing thing.

Information Technology: History, theory, and how to build it. Don’t call it a service if you mean an appliance. Don’t reference the database if you want the middleware. Rare is the story when the intricate details of how to build large distributed systems actually matters, but if it ever does, I can tell you about it.

Community Organizing: I’ve built several. I can talk about building more.

Weight Loss / Weight Management / Body Acceptance: I’ve lost ninety pounds, I know what the literature says, I know it’s okay if you say you don’t want that.

Gender: You probably have one, but maybe you don’t. Maybe you have more than one. Maybe you got the wrong one! I can help find ways to talk about it.

Magic: I build magical systems as part of my faith. In many ways, magic and narrative are my religion, and the magic of narrative. I specialize in alchemy, but I work in many metaphors and I can help build internally consistent systems.

Drugs: I can tell you what it does, what it won’t do, and what it’ll feel like afterwards. I specialize in entheogens.

Poststructuralism and Postmodernism: I know what it is, and what it isn’t. No, it probably isn’t that. No, not that either.

Transhumanism/Posthumanism/Extropianism: Who and what are we once we’ve evolved? Let’s speculate together what it means to actually evolve past our limitations.

I suppose there’s something I can add here.

Christianity: In particular various expressions of the Church, liturgy, ritual and theology. If you want to check something about religion and its representation in any writing I’ll be happy to help.

German Language and Culture: This is where my original degree speciality lies. I’m a fount of free and mildly useless information about the language and culture in the German speaking world.

I dunno what my knowledge bases are, but if I can help out, I’ll be glad to.

I was born in 1940 in Los Angeles. Both my parents worked during World War II (my mother was a movie script analyst at Columbia), and I was raised by my grandmother (my mother’s mother) who lived with us. I started school in 1946. Many of my classmates had fathers who had just gotten out of the Army or Navy, and they repeated their fathers’ war stories. I couldn’t figure out what they were talking about, because according to my grandmother, the war had ended when the Union Army occupied New Orleans in '62. When I told my mother, she set me straight and had a long talk with her mother. But as far as Grandmere was concerned, the Union occupation of New Orleans was The End of The World! She was sure that World War II was a minor affair hardly worth comparing to the War of Northern Aggression.

Grandmere never stopped making comments like, “Everyone in New Orleans used to be So Polite, until the Union Army moved in and started Enforcing the laws against dueling!”

When I was a boy, my mother just shooed me out of the house to play. I didn’t come home until dinnertime. I spent all day on weekends roaming through our neighborhood, playing with other boys. We had one of the few houses in our block, which was mostly vacant lots filled with waist-high (to me) foxtails and other weeds, covered with grasshoppers and other fascinating bugs. There was a building boom after World War II, and all during my childhood there were new houses being built in my block, which I and other kids would also play in (the half-constructed houses without doors made great playgrounds) after the workers left in the evenings. The vacant lots disappeared one by one.

One of my earliest memories is of helping my mother and Grandmere prepare dinner by mixing the yellow coloring into the white margarine. Our house had an icebox for the big cubes of ice that the iceman brought, which we used for storage because our house had a brand-new refrigerator!

I gather that today, the idea of letting children under ten out to roam unsupervised all over the neighborhood would practically get parents arrested for criminal neglect.

When I started elementary school, all the school desks had holes in the upper right corners for inkwells. Do they still teach penmanship? Some teachers still gave out liquid-ink pens, but most gave out pencils. None of the teachers liked the new ballpoint pens because they leaked and smeared ink all over everything.

Grandmere also taught me the European system of footnoting, starting with the asterisk for the first note, the obelisk or dagger for the second note, then the double-obelisk, and (I forget what came next). I had to relearn the American system of numbered footnotes.

I was a devoted listener to the radio adventure programs like “The Shadow”, “The Lone Ranger”, and “Sky King” until my family got one of the new television sets when I was around 8 years old. I was an even bigger fan of “Crusader Rabbit” and all the old theatrical cartoons dumped onto the children’s TV shows with a friendly Captain or Skipper or Sheriff as the host. And I do mean All the theatrical cartoons. Around the 1980s & '90s my friends would often show some old '30s or '40s non-PC cartoon with an offensive racial stereotype, introducing it as something that had never been allowed on TV! It was always a cartoon that I had seen over & over on 1950s TV.

All during the late 1940s and 1950s, the last Civil War veterans (all over 100) were dying. I remember the national death watch over who would be the last to die; a Union veteran or a Confederate veteran.

Fun memories. Well, if I can help anyone out, let me know.

This was a great read, Fred.

Hm, this thing needs a database…

For the record, folks can ask me about physics (especially particle/quantum things), and more broadly about how universities and the process of scientific research work. Also about the UK (though am a bit out of date), and about France and French and the French (though am liable to mangle a few things). For most other stuff, Google can guide you better than I!

The only thing I’m any use with is my knowledge involving the Kami Inari, some Shinto/Buddhist methods and Kitsune. I’ve done a lot of self study on the subjects so if others have questions about them i can try my best to direct you.

Guess I’ll throw my hat in here for what good I am!

-LDS Chuch

I grew up in The Church, but they didn’t really get too far into the true lore of scripture before I decided to take my leave at 16. What I do remember most clearly is the structure of the church and the more mechanical workings of how things typically function within the wards. I think I still have my copies of Doctrine and Covenants, The Pearl of Great Price and, of course, the good ol’ Book of Mormon somewhere around my belongings as well! I’ve been gone from the church myself for many years, but definitely willing to help talk about them a bit.

-(Closed) Adoption

Adoption, but all that is given to the new parents is important records like family medical history. The rest of the records about the birth-parents etc. is kept under sealed files and confidentiality that even for the child to open is a huge mess. I only have the perspective of a kid who dealt with this, but hey: t’s not something talked about much, I imagine, especially now that having kids out of wedlock is less of a social stigma.

-Depression/Anxiety

I’m one of the lucky ones who deals with both and all the fun that comes with them. I can say with some certainty that it’s a little different for everyone, but a general base tends to be the through-line of things. Feel fee to ask about what all comes in that circle of mess; not limited to panic attacks, breakdowns and good ol’ self-destructive habits!

-Bipolar Disorder

While I’m not diagnosed myself, my brother fights the long war inside his head, as he likes to put it. Growing up with him was interesting and I’m willing to talk about some of the experiences I have from a family member’s perspective of the stuff that goes on and how it outwardly affects relations, especially on the more severe side of the spectrum.

-Food Delivery

I have tons of stories about being a pizza driver. It’s still my current profession, too, so new stories all the time! Just be warned that I get ranty about my work and places I’ve worked previously, oftentimes, though I’ll try to keep the sputtering rage to a minimum. Just please remember to tip us, yeah?