Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Any POC furries out there?

You’re not obligated to come out and share this kind of demographic info if you don’t feel comfortable, but I would love to reach out and connect with fellow POC. I’d imagine that there aren’t very many of us at all, just as women are the minority since there are way more guys in the fandom.

Me. As far as I know, I’m of African-American/Native American heritage (my mother and grandmother would go on and on about having “Indian” in the family) but part of this was why I was always reluctant to really make it obvious I was a furry when I was younger: being black, and a nerd, and a geek, and I listened to classic rock and punk rock and Goth music, I already had a recipe for being considered “weird”, not just from my mom but from a few of my classmates in school.

Back in February, Shy Matsi started #FurryBlackHistoryMonth on Twitter. If you search the tag, scroll back to February, and ignore the trolls, you’ll fine lots of furries of colour pics of themselves, their fursonas, and works. It was really cool to see so much diversity in the fandom.

Very cool! Nice to meet you, and welcome to the forum! It’s totally ok to like what you like, and no one should ever have to make you feel embarrassed or ashamed. I also know what it’s like to go against the flow of what people both from within and outside my ethnic community expect of me. I just shrug it off and keep being myself. ;D

Nice, I’ll definitely check out that hashtag! From my own limited/brief experience within the community so far and having read various demographic surveys, I felt that as an Asian female, I fell under the tiny sliver of the pie chart dominated by the population of white guys. Not that I ever felt threatened or lonely due to that; the community’s quite warm and welcoming and deserving of that reputation. I am, however, curious and interested with the intersection of human race and animal species by finding other POC furries. I’m grateful you pointed me to that trend on Twitter. I hope there’ll be many more chances for such creative expression.

Nice to meet you as well Sibir, and thank you for the welcome! I did learn as I got older that it shouldn’t matter what I like to anyone else but me. If I could go back in time and tell that to my 14 year old self I’d do it in a heartbeat! ;D

And I’ve bookmarked that #FurryBlackHistoryMonth hashtag. I think it was acceptable in my community to like anime since a lot of POC enjoyed kung-fu movies and stuff like Ninja Scroll, I think the demographic there was mostly because from a social standpoint it was considered “cooler” than say admitting you liked something that was completely offbeat and owned it.

That’s good; we learn and grow as we get older, though I wish I could go back and tell my younger self that, too.

Manga/anime was pretty much welcomed by POC, for the most part, but only if you were casual/discreet about it and not going overboard via weeb mode lol. Dragon Ball Z is particularly popular among Latinx of my generation. How can I forget going to primary and middle school with boys sporting gel-slicked Super Saiyan hair? On the flip side, hip hop and rap’s spreading like wildfire among young Asians. I find it especially cool to hear music combining traditional and modern instruments. Like I said earlier, I love intersections of pretty much any kind, be it across cultures, generations, etc. :slight_smile:

I wish I could remember this meme, but it was a thing I’d seen where if you were a black teenager in middle school or high school in the 2000s and loved DBZ, you probably had one of those silk screen DBZ shirts in your closet that you rocked at school.

As an example of your generational intersection especially for music, here’s another story about me you might find interesting: I love the Beatles, they’re my favorite rock band ever. I first heard them on a commercial and thought the music was neat and begged to listen to more, getting my first Beatles album for Christmas. However, my mom often thought it weird that I would always flip for one of their reissued albums instead of what was popular in hip-hop and rap at that time. She used to ask why I was into “old people music”. And because this was at a time when the Beatles weren’t you know the super-respected band–they were then but not really among kids my age, not until they got to high school–it had to have been pretty funny when people would say they liked Tupac or LL Cool J and here I would pipe in with the Beatles as my answer.