Furry Writers' Guild Forum

2017-2018 Plan Your Novel class

Here’s the synopsis of what this class is:

Students should be comfortable with short stories, but the course is aimed at people who'd like to write a novel and haven't yet. Three sessions will examine the structure of novels and will put together a plan for people to write their novels. Two more will workshop the ideas people have brought for their novels. The last one will prepare people to start writing and will set up a support network to leave the course with.

I’d like to do this class again this fall/winter. Originally I’d hoped to have it in September/October so we could finish before NaNoWriMo, but that didn’t happen. So I’m looking for both who’s interested in taking the class this go-round, and whether you’d want it for November/December or if you’d rather wait for January/February.

Reply in comments below!

[Edited to add class synopsis]

1 Like

I will express interest.
My personal preference on time would be for Jan/Feb, as Nov/Dec is the busy season at work.

I am interested! If I attend I would prefer jan/feb, nov/dec tend to have a lot going on.
I didn’t attend last years so I’m wondering how the classes themselves are done. Do we all jump in a voice call with you, are you live streaming to us as we ask questions in the chat? How structured are the lessons? And, besides open minds and brilliant but unpolished ideas, what sort of stuff are we expected to bring to the table?

I would so take it again because reasons, but I guess I should give some others a turn. Good luck though! The class is majorly helpful.

If the class doesn’t fill up, you’d be welcome!

Definitely interested and I would attend either session, but Jan/feb would likely work the best for me.

Okay, I think we’re locked in to Jan/Feb at this point and we have three students plus an alternate… room for two or three more! The class caps at six because that’s the number where I think the workshop portion is most effective. Once we have six (or end of November, whichever comes first), I’ll cap it and will give you your reading assignment. :slight_smile:

I have limited data so I’m not sure if I could participate. I’m still editing book one of a 3 part novel series. That being said, I have ideas for another couple novels as well that I haven’t done anything with yet.

So depending on the format of this, I may be interested.

I am definitely interested and would love to join in!

If there is still a seat available I would love to join.

The structure is in the original sign-ups post but I should’ve included it in the first post here. My bad.

Students should be comfortable with short stories, but the course is aimed at people who'd like to write a novel and haven't yet. Three sessions will examine the structure of novels and will put together a plan for people to write their novels. Two more will workshop the ideas people have brought for their novels. The last one will prepare people to start writing and will set up a support network to leave the course with. The only requirement is that you come with an idea for a novel. This course is to refine an existing idea, not brainstorm a new one.

You have first dibs on a spot, so once you make a decision, I can set the class roster. Let me know!

If you need to give my slot to someone else, go ahead. I’d love to take this, but I have written novels before. :slight_smile:

I appreciate that but I’m not making decisions like that. It’s first come first served. I only asked Hakuzo to clarify because their message said “maybe interested but not sure.” If you want to give up your spot you can, but don’t feel obliged. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure i was counted because my post was “I’m interested If I attend…”

I am interested and want to attend, now that i have a few more details :slight_smile:

So far I have:
Jaden
Shirou
Frances
Fawkes
Wildweiler

Last spot is for Hakuzo to claim or not. Frances, if you want to decline your spot, tell me and I’ll revise the list.

I think I will join up. It would be helpful to talk with more people about writing. Always looking to improve methods ;).

All right! That’s the class filled.

Are all six of you on the FWG Slack? Shoot me a private message there if so and I’ll invite you to a channel to conduct this class.

If you’re not on the Slack and are opposed to joining it, then we’ll figure out some other way to do this.

I don’t have slack. I have discord and groupme. though. Sadly, my phone can not hold anything more ><.

You can also reach Slack through the web browser on your regular computer at Slack.com. To join, instructions are here -> http://www.anthroaquatic.com/forum/index.php?topic=961.0 I’d recommend joining the Slack anyway if you can–there are a lot of good discussions and socializing that happen there.

All I have is mobile. No desktop computer. I have no room for another app ><…